Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A little social experiment.

I registered on Yahoo Answers a little while ago and posted a question. That's how it looked:

Why people of New Zealand are so apathetic?
I came to New Zealand about three years ago, but I still can't get used to it. Nobody seems to care about anything or anybody. Really, I could die here in my room, and nobody would even notice. Nobody is really passionate about what they are doing. It is nearly impossible to organize any kind of event, after all running around and trying to make things work nobody shows up. There are hardly any people who are into any popular hobbies as well. Why is that? And is there anything that breaks this rule of apathy?

Honestly, I did not really expect all that much from this question, but I was ready to make some conclusions based on by whom and how the question is answered. For me, it's a social experiment of some sort. And I got my results, more or less. Sadly, the Yahoo system does not permit to comment on the answers within the system (or I just didn't find the right button, whatever), so I'll do it here.

The first answer I got reads as follows:

No one there knows, and they don't care

The best answer so far. No, seriously. It's not like I don't know that this person is a rather trivial troll and that this answer is just to raise the post count thus moving the poster up in Yahoo hierarchy, but there's absolutely no evidence that they are wrong. At least, my impression is that it is completely true.

Then comes an answer by someone named Princesspea (one hell of a nickname if you ask me):

Maybe you are meeting the wrong people or going about it in the wrong way?

Maybe you arent actually recognising that people are interested in things...just not demonstrating it in the same way you are used to.

I don't mean the above in any bad way...I just wonder if it's a cultural difference you aren't use to. Or, perhaps what you see as important isn't important to others?


Maybe. Why not? After all, if I was completely sure I'm right, I wouldn't ask the question, would I? That's the whole freakin' point - to find out if there really are things, that New Zealanders care about, if I failed to notice them during the last three years.

I work for a charity and can definitely attest to peoples interest and passion in certain things. I just wonder if you aren't recognising that.

Yay! The people of New Zealand are not apathetic at all! They care about... umm... "certain things". And those things are?.. Wait! Where did you go? Now, that's just great: you got me all interested, and then just disappeared without giving any concrete answer at all! Real classy, eh? Bitch...

Then, I got the following:

No idea why you are having problems with NZers. However, if you are unhappy there, why not leave?

No comments. If somebody said this to me IRL, I'd probably just punch them in the face. Did I ask if I should leave? Did I fucking ask you if I should leave?? Did my question read, like, "Oh, I am so unhappy in New Zealand, do you reckon I should go elsewhere?"? No? Then why you think I want your fucking opinion on where I should live, you fucking Nazi moron?? Read the damn question and understand what I'm trying to know, or shut the fuck up! Damn idiot.

It is almost unbelievable how mad you get receiving stupid comments like this one. The last time I was so furious is when someone said to me on some forum: "You can't expect people to talk to you, if you don't approach them yourself it's your fault!" This would be forgivable if that person didn't know I had Aspergers, but I just wrote about that in a few posts up in the same thread! Saying such things to people with Aspergers is like saying "It's your fault you can't climb the staircase" to a person in a wheelchair! What's fucking wrong with those people? Can't they read? Or do they have some learning disabilities of their own, that prevent them from understanding the situation?

Okay, whatever. The important thing is that I (kind of) got my answers. It is quite obvious, that New Zealanders are aware that they are apathetic compared to other nations, and their attempts to deny it leads to either frustration or to some foggy allusions leading nowhere. As for the reason of this apathy, I think nobody can actually give a decent answer. "It's just how the things are" - that's the essential idea. But I am still hoping that maybe I'll get an answer that would give some clue to solve this island mystery.

1 comment:

  1. тут надо внешнюю систему комментирования прикручивать, тогда будет ЛЖ-подобно, с ветвлением дискуссий.
    Вот эту, например
    http://disqus.com
    Есть ещё какие-то "дебаты", я их сначала ставил, но они глючили и теряли комменты. А вышеозначенная - нормально работает.

    ReplyDelete